Sylvia, Sarah, and Heather provided basics tips on managing stress as well as specific strategies to cope with isolation, anxiety, and stress. Additionally, they:
- Identified some symptoms of clinical depression and anxiety
- Provided some resources for getting information on and help with anxiety and depression during this pandemic
- Sylvia Stinson-Perez, MSW, CVRT, is the Project Director of the Older Blind TAC and the Vision Specialist Program at the National Research and Training Center on Blindness and Low Vision at Mississippi State University. She has been a social worker, counselor, and mentor for over 20 years.
- Sarah Clark, LMFT, LMHC, CVRT, is a licensed counselor and vision rehabilitation therapist with a private practice in Indianapolis. She specializes in working with people with disabilities. In addition to counseling, she does training for other professionals on disability awareness, adjustment to disability, cultural competency, and effective counseling techniques.
- Heather Tuck, BSW, is a social worker, the youth programs coordinator, and social worker at the Lighthouse for the Visually Impaired and Blind. She is currently in graduate school to obtain her Master's in Education in vision rehabilitation therapy. In addition to planning and working with the youth programs, she provides case management and facilitates the adult support group. It provides resources on managing anxiety due to vision loss and creates a path to self-acceptance and self-worth.