Did you know that January is National Mentoring Month? Mentoring is a professional relationship in which an experienced person (the mentor) assists another (mentee) in developing specific skills and knowledge that will enhance the less-experienced person’s professional and personal growth. Mentors are not supervisors; however, a supervisor has a tremendous opportunity to be a mentor.
You are a mentor! How will mentoring someone benefit you?
• Internal satisfaction and fulfillment
• Enhanced creativity and professional synergy
• Career and personal rejuvenation
• Increased productivity
Why mentor someone else?
• Provision of field-specific information
• Enhanced self-awareness by both the mentor and the mentee
• Provision of the tools and resources necessary to perform competently
• Sharing knowledge about the population served and special knowledge/skills needed
• Increased understanding of the many roles and how collaboration can be achieved to improve the consumer experience
To learn more about mentoring, visit the Innovative Ideas page of the OIB-TAC Toolbox.