Forum

Get started!

Get access to valuable resources, peer advice and share your own collective impact successes.

OIB Live Forum - Remote Instruction

We invite you to participate in a conversation about remote instruction on Thursday, March 19, at 2 pm eastern, 1 pm central, noon mountain, and 11 am pacific on the OIB-TAC's Community of Practice (www.oib-tac.org). As we are all limited in how much interaction we can have with our consumers, we want to share ideas and resources that can help us to provide services. We look forward to a lively discussion and your participation. To participate in the forum, please click any "add a comment” button with any questions or insights you may have about the topic. Information will be added for an hour while our experts answer your questions. There is no audio or video.

If you have trouble logging in to your account or cannot access your account, please email Simon Marcy at smarcy@colled.msstate.edu. He can notify you of your user name or edit your password.

Sylvia Perez and Kendra Farrow, from the OIB-TAC, are both experienced certified vision rehabilitation therapists. Their direct service experiences and extensive observations of OIB programs across the country will help them in leading our discussion on providing remote instruction during the COVID 19 outbreak. Feel free to post your questions or ideas on how remote instruction might occur.

Comments

Stephanie Jensen's picture

Thank you. I have passed on the resource to my sub-grantee to pass along to their consumers. There are fellow professionals that still think it still isn't practical. But I agree with you. You have to do something in the meantime.
Melissa 's picture

I've thought about recording lessons via video and put them on a DVD or IPAD to send/drop off to client's. and then also walk them through whatever task over the phone.
Catherine Hultman's picture

Our best practice document tells us that when we face a “resource constricted environment the primary service will be information and referral.” What organizations or resources might you suggest?
Marsha Egan's picture

Perhaps helping someone sign up for the Talking Book Program over the phone.
Crystal Jackson Cheek's picture

I think I&R is the best way to go and anything that can be done effectively over the phone until we get a better since on when the outbreak will be mitigated. I think I&R is what most will be looking for. We are also working with our social workers and 211 to help provide resources and information.
Matthew Haynes's picture

Does anyone know if HIPPA and other related laws have anything related to privacy and the use of communications with people using internet based video or audio. Do they have to be encrypted?

I don't think we are subject to HIPPA, but it is a good standard. Encrypted is a good standard, but we may just have to do the best we can.
Wanda C. Clayburn's picture

Thank you all for the insightful recommendations! This is a new world and as long as we can rely on each other and reach out for help I believe that we will make it through and be a blessing to our clients. My agency, in particular, my unit has really come together to transition this period. We have daily video meetings which help with morale and ideas for being productive. Thank you for this resource. ~Wanda Clayburn, Cincinnati Ohio
Curtis Jamison's picture

Is everyone limiting their contacts to current consumers? Or do you contact past consumers as well?
Amy McClellan's picture

I am contacting both and they really appreciate the phone conversation.
Curtis Jamison's picture

How far back are you going?
Amy McClellan's picture

I don't generally close out my cases for 1 year so up to a year.
Curtis Jamison's picture

That seems like a good amount of time. And most of the time the sound of our voice is the best resource we can give.
Marc Wentz's picture

I am contacting both as well and they are really appreciative that they are being remembered.
Sylvia Perez's picture

I understand the tendency to want to just to assist current consumers. And, I suspect we won't see to many new referrals over the next few weeks. However, this is a time to prioritize consumers. To prioritize consider the following -safety -living alone -amount of vision-no vision priority Asking just the right questions will be key.
Marsha Egan's picture

Will the content from this forum be available to view later? Lots of good ideas and resources are being shared.

Yes! All of the comments and content from the live forum are archived so that people can continue to respond, engage, and view contents.
Lisa Sluszka's picture

Thank you, how will we access this information after this session closes?

That's good to know. There is a lot of information here to consider and may have more questions over the next few days or weeks.

Making sure the consumers are safe is one of our goals. What types of questions could we be asking to assess consumers safety?
Malinda Carlson's picture

we'll have to count on their self assessment. I want to know that they can call 911 or a family member/friend, that they can get out of their home or apt in case of fire, and in this case that they have resources in case of other emergencies (they know about 211)
Maddy Spencer's picture

We are planning on group audio session using google hangouts- they will receive a phone number and pin to dial in. We have a variety of topics, but trying to understand how to record the attendees and also how to navigate a group of voices on a conference audio call. any ideas?

Conference calls get tricky. You don't want someone to be silent or someone else to dominate the conversation. I have been hosting region conference calls among professionals for a few years now. Have everyone introduce themselves at the beginning. People state their name each time they speak. Have the host rotate who responds. For example, "Carol, then Dave."
Maddy Spencer's picture

thank you! I know a lot of people are using Zoom- but we aren't interested in committing to the payment. I know organizations have used the conference call set up previously.
Ed Haines's picture

You can get a free account and use it for 40 minutes at a time up to 100 persons. The annual fee for a paid account is not much more than $100.00
Matthew Haynes's picture

The AER Division on Aging uses Freeconferencecall.com as our provider for free calls. You can also get recordings and share them if needed. Zoom also has a free service with limits on the number of callers and duration of the call.
Matthew Haynes's picture

I like to provide some additional guidelines that Stephanie suggested, such as asking them to mute their phones and not put us on hold. Using the mute feature makes the main speaker easier to hear and callers often don't realize putting the call on hold makes everyone hear music. Some services like Zoom give you control and you can mute individuals or everyone.
Melinda Underwood's picture

When will the next Water Cooler Talk take place? Who can access it? How can they access it?
Matthew Haynes's picture

We actually had one just yesterday discussing Hadley and their amazing resources. Neva Fairchild is working to get access to our recordings and we hope to have those posted soon. Our next one is in April 15th and I imagine we will be discussing our situation then with this virus and how it affects the provision of services.
Melinda Underwood's picture

Hi Matt - can you add me back to the invitation list? Somehow I'm no longer receiving the info. Many thanks. If there's a link to the last meeting, please send that as well. I really miss being in on those calls! Melinda Underwood, CVRT, VT Assoc. f/t BVI
Matthew Haynes's picture

Melinda, I am so sorry you are not getting emails. Please contact AER at (703) 671-5875 or memberservices@aerbvi.org to make sure they have the right email address.
Maddy Spencer's picture

We have a lot of clients who are not tech savvy. Do Zoom meetings give you the option to phone in instead of video in?
Matthew Haynes's picture

Yes, zoom offers access to a phone number and also through their video.
Marsha Egan's picture

We host a Connections program using an Uber Conference line. There are scheduled activities such as crosswords, trivia, book club and other activities all facilitated over the phone. Our Connections Coordinator facilitates the activities. It is currently set up to automatically call the participants at the time of the activity. They can choose to answer and participate or ignore the call. We are considering expanding the number of activities and topics and offering it to those who are not regular participants. For the expanded activities, it would most likely need to be a call in activity. Similar to Well Connected.
Lisa Sluszka's picture

How would someone get in on this?
Kristen Bethke's picture

A lot of my grantees are closed due to the safety of staff. I am curious if this is happening in other states who have CILS and grantees within their OIB program? Thanks.

My sub-grantee is also a CIL. They have closed their offices to the public. Their staff are working from home. They can't be in the office if someone else is there.They are working with consumers remotely. I have passed along these resources and they are grateful for them.
Shannon Kalu's picture

Monday was my first day working from home. The equipment at home is not as accessible for me since I am a person with low vision. I am still working through some of those issues and feel confident they are temporary. I will honestly state I felt like a floundering fish the first day and a half and although I am aware of what needs to be done I had some difficulty focusing on the same types of tasks I completed in the office. Reading some of the suggestions has genuinely helped. I plan to set up some very specific goals related to case management and Consumer contact. And I have made the choice to stop focusing on the equipment I don't have and focus on what can utilize right now. I feel a lot better with a plan.

Hi Shannon, I also began working from home on Monday; however, I am not low vision. I, too, feel a combination of floundering, confusion, and difficulty focusing because of the different set up here at home. I am just trying to focus on doing the best that I can with what I have, focusing on the fact that everyone is struggling with the same issues, and also reaching out for help after I have spent time trying to find out the answer/resource on my own. And yes, I talk to my team leaders (Sylvia and Kendra) every morning at 8 am. We do set up a plan, but we also know that the plan can change hourly. Hang in there!
Curtis Jamison's picture

Some things in the office we take for granted until we are at home and don't have access to them. I had a hard time connecting with my work laptop. This makes me feel even more for our consumers who live this reality all the time.
Shannon Kalu's picture

I was so happy to read your response. When I was reading the other posts and messages, it seemed like everyone had it all together and hit the ground running. I posted in hopes that I was not the only one who was having some difficulty and needed some encouragement, ideas and a reality check. I am having some accessibility difficulties momentarily in this season, but many of the Consumers I serve don't get a solution, their accessibility issues aren't just for a season and many of them don't have the resources or support to create a set up like I have at my work office. I am thankful and with that thought process I plan to use this time to do the best case management I can with what I have. I am a processor and it can take me some time to come to a place of acceptance and move forward. But I am starting fresh this morning.
Teddy Kern's picture

my experience on the phone with clients (since i can't visit or deliver equipment) is to review simple tasks (i.e. using signature guide, pouring skills) just to keep them engaged. Many are lonely, isolated and alone especially in NY, a big city, and, as always i think our caring voice and letting people ask questions about daily living tasks is essential. I reviewed organizing the kitchen counter with a client and we laughed at her clutter and talked about cleaning solutions. It's about ENGAGEMENT.
Curtis Jamison's picture

There is no 6 feet social distancing when it comes to genuine engagement.

I agree with Teddy and Curtis. The social distancing is physical. The phone call can do a lot of someone old or young, in the city or country, sighted or losing vision. It can also push them to do the task while talking them through it.

I also agree, I think a better word to have use is physical distancing. Since that is what we are doing.
Kelly Coleman 's picture

Hello! The Nebraska Commission for the Blind & Visually Impaired has instructional videos for Cooking, Shopping & Organizing the Kitchen, Cane Travel, Braille, Personal Information Management, and Techniques of Daily Living to help teach alternative techniques. They can be found at this link: https://ncbvi.nebraska.gov/media/video
Simon Marcy's picture

Here is a link to some remote training and services tips composed by Sylvia. https://www.oib-tac.org/resources/tips-remote-training/
Laurene Griffis's picture

Thank you for the info and resources! They are very helpful!!
Amber Mooney's picture

Have many people had experience with Go Go Grandparent?
Malinda Carlson's picture

We are recommending it to our OIB clients that are not smart phone savvy. I know that it uses Uber and Lyft, they just arrange the reservation/request for the client and charge a fee.

Pages