Get started!

Get access to valuable resources, peer advice and share your own collective impact successes.

Data Entry Errors

If an error is realized after submission of the 7-OB, specifically a keying error in funding sources and expenditures, is there a procedure to revise the data?

Comments

James Billy's picture

If you make an error in data entry on the 7-OB report you will need to make the program manager aware so that he can "disapprove" the report which would allow edits to be made by the grantee. This has to occur before the reports are published.
Doug Bedsaul's picture

Can any corrections be made after publishing? Incorrect data could have unforeseen consequences, so could any corrections be made, or notes added, after publishing?
James Billy's picture

Not sure I understand the question in its entirety, what are unforeseen consequences? Once the 7-OB report has been "disapproved" the grantee can then make edits to the report, this can only happen before the report is published. Once the report is published it is now public and the program manager is unable to retract.
Doug Bedsaul's picture

I understand why the report cannot be retracted once published. If an error is found after publishing the report, could a note be added to explain the discrepancy?
B.J. LeJeune's picture

This question came from an OIB program manager. So have the reports been published yet and can they go in and make the change now.
JANE WARD SOLOMON's picture

Are we saying that the December submittal date each year is the same thing as "published"?
James Billy's picture

No that is not what I'm saying. There is a process, the reports are submitted, and once read are then considered for approval, once approved then are available for publishing.
JANE WARD SOLOMON's picture

So the 2017 7OB reports have not yet been published, correct? That is good because there was a keying error in part 1 of my report that has just been noticed, and needs to be corrected. How can that be done?
B.J. LeJeune's picture

Actually I think that James Billy may need to go in and "disapprove" the report then you can correct and resubmit it. I don't think you can do that as a Program Manager - at least I cannot on my two RSA grants. I suggest calling James Billy for clarification. Let me know if you need his number.
Bill Tomlin's picture

Ladies and Gentlemen, for this issue if you realize that you have made a mistake you should send James Billy an email at James.Billy@ed.gov and request that he disapprove your submitted 7-OB at that point he will disapprove your report in the system, then you will be able to make the amendment and resubmit the report. Once the report has been "published" this is no longer the case. So once the report has been published it can no longer be amended.